Baltimore roofer and family man meets an untimely death
The epitaph on William Bayley's stone reads, “Born in Staffordshire England in March 19, 1799. Came to his just death by accident October 14, 1858. He was for the last 40 years a prominent and useful citizen of Baltimore.”
William Bayley owned a roofing business that specialized in slate roofs. On the morning of October 14, he was at the home of Francis King on Liberty Road, about three miles from the city, where he had a contract for a portion of the work on the house. He was about to return to the city, when he spoke to the carpenter about another workman.
Then Mr. Bayley climbed to the scaffolding to the roof level of the building and helped his son lift a bundle of slate to the roof. As they were placing the slate on the roof, the scaffolding collapsed. Mr. Bayley fell forward, his head was crushed when it hit the building foundation. Mr. Bayley’s son hit the ground and he suffered a broken leg.
James Bayley was one of the pioneers starting the International Order of Odd Fellows in Baltimore. He had served as treasurer and of his lodge and Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Maryland. He was married to Mary Ann Mason, who was of New England ancestry. The Bayleys had 11 children.
He was laid out in the parlor of his home and buried at Loudon Park Cemetery, Plot V-18-18.
The Sun (1837-1991); Oct 15, 1858; The Baltimore Sun pg. 1
A Standard History of Springfield & Clark County, Ohio, by Benjamin F. Prince, page 103