Col. Eugene Joyce remembered as "an enthusiastic Irishman"
Colonel Eugene T. Joyce
March 28, 1839 – November 23, 1903
Colonel Eugene T. Joyce was a prominent figure in Baltimore’s Irish community. He was born in Ireland and, at the age of six, moved to Canada with his family. He resided in Canada until he came to Baltimore in 1856.
Eugene Joyce had a successful career in the hotel and shipping business. Most memorably, he built the Joyce Hotel in 1861, which was located right across the street from the B & O’s Camden Station. Today, the Hilton Baltimore Convention Center stands on the footprint of the Hotel Joyce.
He was active in all Irish affairs in the community. Col. Joyce formed the 9th Regiment of the Maryland National Guard, an Irish Regiment. Joyce was appointed Colonel of the unit.
Colonel Joyce continued to serve the community as an elected member of the state legislature, and as a judge on the Baltimore City Tax Appeals Court.
It is said that, “Colonel Joyce was an enthusiastic Irishman and took interest in all matters concerning the land of his birth.”1
His son, Col. Jerome H. Joyce, inherited the Hotel Joyce and went on to operate it until 1934. He developed the hotel into a bustling meeting place for Baltimore’s social, business and political circles. Prohibition seriously impacted the Hotel Joyce, and it went on to decline over the decades. In 1971 Baltimore City purchased the property (then known as the Hotel Roosevelt) as part of the Inner Harbor renewal project.
A likeness of Colonel Eugene T. Joyce is found standing above the grave in which he is buried in New Cathedral Cemetery.
1. The Baltimore Sun, Col. E. T. Joyce is dead, Nov 24, 1903, page 8; ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Baltimore Sun
The Baltimore Sun, History of hotels on proposed Hilton site, January 11, 2003, By Frederick N. Rasmussen